Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bryan McCabe. Over Played and Over Paid

Bryan McCabe #24 Defense Toronto Maple Leafs
Height: 6-2
Weight: 220
Shoots: Left
Born: Jun 8, 1975 - St. Catharines, Ontario
Draft: 1993 - 2nd round (40th overall) by the New York Islanders
To be honest, I can't say I hate him. Being a more offensive minded defenseman, at one point in my life I could say I modeled my play after Mr. McCabe here. He was excellent. Played defense, but still put pucks in the net. He was living the dream. Everyone loved him, he was making the big bucks, and more importantly earning the big bucks.
That's the problem now, he's getting payed $7.15M a year (a large portion of the payroll), and he's not producing. Even bigger than the problem of having him on the team, is the problem of not being able to get rid of him. With his contract, he also requested a no trade clause, which basically means he can't get traded, even if they want too. Which is something McCabe is sticking too. He won't wave it, all he wants is a buy out, which is way too rich for the Leafs' blood.

No comments: